Sunday, February 22, 2015

Meet The Chimps! - Cobby! - Maggie! - Minnie!




Good grief, I keep forgetting to post this here!  I did Meet the Chimps posts when I started the Facebook Group, never posted it here.  I think initially I figured most knew the Chimps, since I started this crusade on my other long standing blog.  But, for those who are following here independently may not know who Our Wonderful Chimp Friends are.  So, here's the Chimps!



Meet Our Zoo Friend Cobby! ... Cobby was born in 1958. Taken from his Mother as an infant in the wild, Cobby was then sold to a private citizen. For the next ten years of his life he lived with this person and was used in Entertainment. One of the jobs he had was starring in his own TV Show called Cobby's Hobbies. In 1968 at an age no longer useful for entertainment purposes, Cobby was surrendered to the San Francisco Zoo. Now nearing 57, he has lived at the San Francisco Zoo for almost 47 years.



Meet Our Zoo Friend Maggie! ... Maggie was born in 1969. She was taken from her Mother in the wild, directly going into the Exotic Pet Trade. She came to the Zoo in 1970 with Minnie, joining Cobby and our passed Tallulah. The foursome lived together as a Family for over 40 yrs. At 45, the San Francisco Zoo is the only home she's known.



Meet Our Zoo Friend Minnie! ... Minnie came to the Zoo in 1970 with Maggie. Both taken from their Mothers in the wild, directly going into the Exotic Pet Trade and being shipped to the Zoo as infants. Minnie coupled up with Cobby and gave birth four times. At age 45, the San Francisco Zoo is the only home she's even known.

Everytime I read what I've written about them, or think of their lives, I'm moved to tears.  The single fact that they were all taken as babies from the wild.  Literally ripped from the arms of their Mothers.  Its heartbreaking.  Then having to adjust to Human situations.  The pain and the fear they must have gone through.  I just hope they have no memory of those tough times.  I just want them to be happy and not have to face any more tough times.  I believe moving them would do that and its heartbreaking.  They should be left to live out their lives, in a place they feel secure and safe.  The home they have known for near half a century.  Anything else would shake their world in many ways, some that we can't even imagine.  They might not even survive the circumstances of a move.  I hope Director Peterson wakes the hell up and leaves these Precious Beings be.













2 comments:

  1. I agree with how you feel. I know and love these three chimps. They started their lives torn horrifically from their mothers. They survivef and have formed a loving bond with eachother. They are too old to be torn away from the home they have had almost 50 years , lets hope the Director grows a heart and uses sense to let them live in the home they have always known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I apologize for the delay in replies to all comments. I worked hard to present the information in all aspects of Networking this situation. That left me exhausted, but it was all worth it. I'm here now to post replies. Will do my best to do so in hindsight of the Victory! ... Well said!

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes "timely" isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*As with all posts, please expand comments for additional insight and information.
*Contact the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson if you want your voice heard within the walls tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.